Monday, April 23, 2007

Happy Administrative Professional Secretary Assistant or whatever you call it Week.

As I enjoy this freshly baked cookie from Rialto, I realize it is the last week in April. And you know what that means, kids... Administrative Professional Secretary Assistant Week! See, I don't even know what the proper name for this is anymore, so I just strung all the names together. It's easier that way. Anyway, the next few days will celebrate the millions of people who hold down the fort at companies all over North America. Thousands of floral arrangements, plants, chocolates, novelty mugs and cliche greeting cards with awkward messages of thanks will circulate throughout Canada and the U.S., and of course Edgewood has its soil-caked fingers in that pie. Between our corporate clients and our customers in medicine, law and various other services, we'll be nice and busy from here until Friday.

Murray gave me this nice arrangement for A-P-S-A week a few years ago:

Now, I think that's just smashing. I think it's important that those in a position of power at least pretend to appreciate their underlings once a year - you know, because some people in managerial roles can be pretty jerky to those they manage. I've seen it happen to other people and it just breaks my heart. Thankfully, working for the family business means that I don't ever have to endure that. If Murray's acting crabby, I just tell him off. Kidding.

But I digress. As I was saying, if you can get past the political-correctness-spawned mutation of its name, this week can really be a way to get a lot accomplished on personal side of your profession. Thank the ones whose hard work make your job easier, whose overtime enables you to take a longer lunch. It will foster trust and camaraderie, and one day when your subordinates rise up and usurp you, you may be able to avoid the guillotine. Figuratively. Hopefully.

Have a great day and enjoy the sunshine.