Tuesday, May 1, 2007

I have realized things about dust.

Edgewood is the home of the original floor that will not come clean. In our fifty years of existence, that characteristic has spread to every other surface on the property. If you dust something, that same layer of dust will regenerate and reappear within 12 hours. Yesterday, I took on the fruitless task of cleaning my desk. Not only did I knock over a vase and accidentally dial the last person I spoke to on my telephone, but when I was finished, there was virtually no difference in my desk's before and after states. The dust had come back with a vengeance. It's like shaving your legs: if you do it, the hair will grow back faster, thicker and angrier. That was some angry dust.

Meanwhile, I had some bewildered corporate clients on the phone this morning asking me if they had missed Administrative Secretary Professional Assistant Postman Sunshine Question Mark Week. "I saw no advertising for it," one customer lamented. "True, that," I replied. The powers that be really don't do a lot to promote that particular workplace observance. I have a wonderful calendar from the Bata Shoe Museum hanging on the wall in my office, and nowhere do they mention any celebration of the sort. They did, however, make a point of listing "Anzac Day" on April 25th - which is apparently a holiday in Australia - but do I see cards at my local Hallmark for Anzac Day? Who's Anzac? Does he have anything to do with shoes?

Anyway. FTD kinda screwed up on that one. As much as I love FTD, and I do. Big smile, thumbs-up!

Mother's Day is in, like, a week and a half. As the administrative co-ordinator of your dutiful neighborhood florist, I must urge each and every one of my cherished clients to get their orders in early, because nothing irks me more than people who put off ordering their flowers until the last minute. When one is up against the clock like that, you know, some people beg. And they plead. Or they get really abusive and I don't want to help them, because only really horrible people are nasty to those in the retail and service industries. But I don't like to talk about those people. They make up a small minority.
Bottom line, show Mom you care enough to order her floral gift way in advance, so that it's absolutely perfect and you're not doing anything under duress. Doesn't she deserve that much, after everything she's done for you? After she paid for the repairs on the car you wrecked, and looked the other way when her china plates were broken during a house party you threw, and welcomed you back home after that mail-order steak business failed? Hmmm?

Yeah, that's what I thought. Do me a favor, stop selling meat over the Internet and have a good Tuesday ;)